Friday, January 11, 2013

Arugula is the key to my heart

I go through phases where I am obsessed with certain foods and could eat them every meal for months. Sometimes they are healthy, sometimes not so much..but my current obsession is this:


Ingredients
  • 1/3 cup pine nuts
  • 2 5 ounce packages  arugula
  • tablespoon grated lemon peel
  • 1/3 cup extra-virgin olive oil
  • Coarse salt
  • Directions
  • In a small skillet, toast the pine nuts over low 
  • heat until golden, 1 to 2 minutes. 
  • Let cool. Place the arugula on a serving platter;
  •  top with the pine nuts and lemon peel. 
  • Drizzle with the olive oil and season with salt; toss gently

I LOVE arugula. And this salad is perfect and simple. Ok maybe I lied..I don't know what it tastes like in its true recipe form so I can't say it's perfect although I'm sure it's just as yummy. In my version I switched out pine nuts for pistachios because have you seen the price of pine nuts. yikes. The price of pistachios is even pushing it for me but I didn't think it would taste good with any other type of nut. Oh and I guess I don't add the salt I add pepper instead. gotta watch that sodium content :) Arugula is peppery on its own which is why I love it, it has such a strong flavor but a little extra pepper doesn't hurt. I had never had arugula until a couple years ago and at first the taste made me nervous, each bite I wasn't sure if I loved it or hated it, but our relationship has evolved, it is pretty serious. Try it..unless you are Al..you will probably hate it. :) love you friend. Enjoy!

**On a completely unrelated note..Ellen just gave her whole audience a 7 day trip to Australia. Needless to say I am very jealous. If anyone wants to give me a free trip to Australia, or anywhere really please feel free to contact me. Thanks.

No comments:

Post a Comment